February 08, 2015

5 Minute Neon Lights.


The mood-board is an essential part of my research development because the mood-board takes all of my research and brings it together in one place, as well as any ideas that I have generated through the way through colour pallets, typography, imagery and existing work. My mood-board uses contains artist research for Dina Goldstein, research for Thomas Edison's bulb and the history of lightbulbs as well as linking together surreal and the photorealistic imagery. I will be using this mood-board to inspire my final ideas from and take the mood-board as a base for any following ideas.



The imagery I used in the mood-board were quite specifically chosen because of the ideas I gained through my research:

1) Photographs.
Dina Goldstein because through my primary artist research. I became drawn to her work and her style, I wanted to take forward her "Gods of Suburbia" photo series and develop onto that stylisation of work of "HDR" and "High Pass Filter" photography. I was drawn to these two styles in particular because of the spectacular detail they bring into an image to create staggering results. This also resulted in the ideas of using portraits within my postcards. Other photographs included portraits of Sir Thomas Edison, and photographs of the evolution of the "lightbulb."

2) Illustrations.
I decided to use illustrations within my mood-board due to primary research from other projects, I found that photographic elements work hand in hand with illustrations considering the layout, colour and typography are of course taken into account and are harmonious to each other. The illustrations idea originally came from an infograph poster by LandRover for a short documentary video series.
Other illustrations in the moodboard include comic strips and flat/material design icons. These are there in terms of contemporary design, as material design and flat design are really popular right now due to the minimalist nature of these subgenres.





3) Sculptures. Sculptures are beautiful ways of communication, dating from the prehistoric ages. Sculptures can be very intricate and full of detail, and even in photographic form be attention grabbing. This gave me an idea of a image manipulated sculpture that is surreal and displays the history of the lightbulb. This became something people can interact with and through it being presented in a real world situation relate to. This captures the audience and any emotion driven by the imagery to be engraved into their memory creating a memorable piece. I choose very surreal or eye catching sculptures, to make sure I capture the "extraordinary" essence of the object as the brief requires me to do.Overall my mood-board as sparked many ideas as well as creating a base for my developing ideas from styles, colour pallet, to foundations for ideas that I can further develop into the final piece.

RAG: G2 - I can clearly explain my ideas and why I've particularly done what I have.

1 comment:

  1. G1: Meaningful moodboard that draws together the majority of your research. Could you explain why you have not included work from Louise Wallace. In order to progress consider what hardware you would need to use. For example, would you use a tablet for your illustration and if so, why?

    Literacy:
    Please ensure there is correct spacing after full stops

    ReplyDelete